Re: dumb coding ??

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 10/29/97

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> I grow tired of saying, "CircleMUD isn't a tool for learning C."  It
> isn't neccessarily true, so why should I bother?  Whatever it takes
> to help you learn, can be considered a tool to help you learn.  But I

I do believe that almost any MUD code base can be used as a tool for
learning, and CircleMUD is MUCH better than the rest of the code-bases
that are out there for learning C. That is how I went about learning C.

I didn't use Circle code as THE THING to teach me C. I used three books
on C programming and 4 books on Linux to help answer questions that I
had. Circle was one of many things that helped me on my way to being a
good C programmer, and to be quite honest I am only part of the way to
being a good programmer.

As soon as I know enough to write something like CircleMUD from scratch,
then I'll think of myself as a good C coder. When I can code it and code
it WELL, then I might start thinking of myself as an excellent C coder.

What's my point? Well, to those that have recently downloaded and
unarchived Circle code, I would highly suggest that you have at least two
or more C books around as reference. That way you can look things up, and
learn about new aspects of C that you didn't know about it. After all...
What's the point of experiencing life if you can't learn from it?

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.