Re: dumb coding ??

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 10/30/97

>On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:
>
>> I grow tired of saying, "CircleMUD isn't a tool for learning C."  It
>> isn't neccessarily true, so why should I bother?  Whatever it takes
>> to help you learn, can be considered a tool to help you learn.  But I
>
>I do believe that almost any MUD code base can be used as a tool for
>learning, and CircleMUD is MUCH better than the rest of the code-bases
>that are out there for learning C. That is how I went about learning C.

I can't imagine trying to learn from most Diku bases...
I've toyed with a lot of them, and Circle is waaaaaaaaaaaay
better than any of the others.  Code is undocumented,
horribly spread out, hard to find, and all around annoying.
Circle is, in my mind, the best Diku base publicly
available :)
(And I haven't even taken a look at bpl12 yet ;)

>I didn't use Circle code as THE THING to teach me C. I used three books
>on C programming and 4 books on Linux to help answer questions that I
>had. Circle was one of many things that helped me on my way to being a
>good C programmer, and to be quite honest I am only part of the way to
>being a good programmer.

I know for me, I really wanted to be an imp, but quickly
found that I didn't have nearly enough programming skills,
so I got a couple books, and now have a job as a programmer
(I had been studying GIS in college :P )
Which seems to be the case for quite a few people,
actually...