Re: Spell Maker(NOT: "How do I make spell?")

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 10/30/97

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Adam Duke wrote:

>  Anybody ever played The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall? In case you havn't,
> upon reaching a certain rank in the Mage's Guild you get access to a spell
> maker. This man lets you create your own spells based on certain
> perameters... a damage spell(generic/fire/ice/electric) protective
> spell, healing spell, etc etc... The stronger the spell the more it cost

Yes, I've played both the first and second games, and I am very impressed
with character generation, skill/spell system, and spell creator. I am
sorely tempted to do something like that with my MUD, but I just don't
know if that is what I want or if I want to code it. To tell the truth, I
don't think I can code it with my current skills. Then again... I said
the same about the individ. weather patterns for zones. *shrug*

As far as how to go about it.... You would need to set aside XX number of
spell slots that were customizable, and when the character entered the
game have it read their custom spells from file into those spots. I would
probably set aside 20-30 spots for that, and inform the players that they
are limited to the number of custom spells that they can have. Of course,
give them a way to alter/remove spells from their custom list.

Then again.. you could just make the spells/skills that they know a
linked list and give them "infinite" ability to expand upon their skills
and spells. (Infinite is in quotes because of RAM/Swap/Disk space
limitations.)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.