Re: Rom, Circle, and Notes.

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 11/01/97

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, StormeRider wrote:

> >> Anyone interested in helping port over the Rom 2.4 note code to circle? I
> >> must say that while the message boards are okay, once you put in
> >> clans/guilds the note system (*imho*) is a better way.
> >>
> >I'm not up on ROM. What does the note system do that the Circle boards
> >don't?

> Well, you dont have to be any place in particular to read or post notes.
> You can sit somewhere way the heck out in the wilderness and write a note
> to your guild. You can send notes to only certain people, or to groups of
> people. Like say a note to StormeRider or a note to immortal. You also can

Another advantage is last-read pointers (at least I don't THINK Circle has
them) : I'd hate to have to remember what notes I have read and not read
on 13 different boards, with 30 new notes appearing each day :)

Disadvantage is that the boards are floating and global- for things like
guild boards, IMHO a local board in one room only is better. When you are
working on removing global communication, it's pretty silly for a note to
instantly reach its target. I plan therefore on keeping the floating
boards for OOC notes, while having localized classic Diku-style boards for
IC notes.

My implementation of a board system is at
http://pip.dknet.dk/~erwin/snip.html. Free of ROM Licensing, and easier to
expand with new boards than the ROM system (you just have to follow the
MERC license which require a HELP MERC text).