Re: [Off-topic] Just a follow-up to the swapping thing...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 11/04/97

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, j f chaos wrote:

->     I would also add in the ability for mobs to attack multiple
->targets(can't remember the name of the snippet).

Not terribly difficult.  I would probably go a lot further, and
redesign the combat system before I did trivial things like that,
though.  I like doing the big, bad stuff first. :)

->     Add an RP base for the mud, so that mobs are actually there for more
->than just beating up. (Although it can be fun sometimes)

I don't know if I follow the concept of a, "RP base."  In other words,
what exactly is a "RP base"?  I would think it up to the individual
administrator/coder to implement the style of role-playing he or she
most desires.  I wouldn't object to providing a script language, or
perhaps a (primordial) logic engine for NPCs (e.g., if it is snowing,
put on some clothes; if I'm smart and aggressive, and the person in
front of me is 20' tall and carrying an oversized Claymore; and I'm
2'4" and armed with a slingshot, I'll be smart enough to not get
myself killed).

->     The ranged weapons patch is a good one to add, so that you don't
->always have to be up close and personal w/ the mob

I...errr...Bob...would never add patches to a derivitive unless they
were written solely for BobMUD (if this ever comes to fruition, that
might as well be its name; then...Bob...can have a little historical
section on, "Why BobMUD?" four years from now), and even then, I would
probably work on my own implemention.

->    I don't know if I'd be willing to take anything out besides quite a
->few of the stock areas.

I was thinking about removing all the stock areas, changing the
database format (maybe bothering to write a converter :P), and
including a little Limbo-like area in the stock code.  But I don't
know if that really has the desire affect of making people do
something creative with their MUD.  I think it'd either make people
not use BobMUD or force them to bother converting the stock areas.
Your thoughts (on the matter)?

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com