Re: [Lazy] calculation order..

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 11/06/97

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Nynaeve Al'Meara wrote:

> I'm just too lazy to check but which is checked for first when an attack
> is made, if it has missed or if it has been dodged? and if the miss is
> first (hitroll) then does the code check for the dodge/parry at all?
> This would waste cycles..

No dodge in stock code, but when I added it, I made the person
attempt to dodge (and use some move in the effort of dodging) if the
attack hit, or came close to hitting.

I've heard the argument that someone wouldn't dodge an attack that
wouldn't hit them..... Well... When I was in Jr. High people would walk
up to you, fake a punch and if you flinched, they would scream "MADE YOU
FLINCH!" and pummel you!

Another thing to consider is the natural tendency to dodge or get out of
the way of something that MIGHT hurt just a little. I do it all the time
on the tourney lists and battlegrounds of the SCA. Heck, I've probably
dodged more attacks that would have missed that ones that wouldn't have.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.