Re: Am I alone...? [OLC Promo]

From: Justin (c616077@SHOWME.MISSOURI.EDU)
Date: 11/11/97

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Ryan Gasper or Steven Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Justin wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Ryan Gasper or Steven Arnold wrote:
> > >         Sure you CAN, but why? Its dull, its tedious, and it doesn't
> > > inspire anyone to write a zone.
> >
> > I am inspired by my ideas, not the difficulty faced in realizing them.
>
>         How poetic.
I am far from poetic.  But the point is that _if_ you are as dedicated to
your mud as you wish your builders and coders to be, you'll want them (and
yourself) to do things right, even if it takes a bit longer.  I currently
have one builder (not bad for a mud that doesn't even exist yet), and he
is doing _everything_ on paper.  Heck, he doesn't even know the code
formating for circle areas, mobs, etc, so later either I'll have to show
him or convert them myself.  But, it doesn't bother him it's coming along
what-this-list-might-call "slowly", he has interest in the idea he is
creating and so do I.  Then again, building 90 rooms while at work in one
night doesn't seem that slow to me when I consider how fast I'll be able
to type it in.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that there is an off-line builder
that takes care of all the bitvectors and stuff for you. It's at JE's
site; hasn't anyone else used it?  It's for windows, and it was crudely
constructed, but it seems to cover the two main points we've been
discussing.  1) Builders need not memorize bitvectors and interger
settings. {Which, I'll add, is indeed made twice as difficult if the
builder is coding for multiple muds which have changed the settings for
their own needs.} and 2)You don't have the distractions and possible lag
from building on-line, and you're phone line is free.

I didn't directly respond to the previous message about lower quality
areas built on-line by builders playing while they work, but here I'll add
something to it:  How about you give builders an automatic "silence"
channel setting when they are building?  I have never used or seen OLC
code, so I don't know how easy that would be to implement, but you could
do that to reduce the amount of distraction while they work for you.

>         Well, if you insist on torturing yourself with outdated modes of
> world building, who am I to say anything. But it really is kinda
> ridiculous.

I feel confident that enough pros have been stated for off-line building
to show that it isn't ridiculous.  I think it really comes down to what
your needs and capabilities are, and that neither is really any better
than the other.

Salvatore