Re: {coding} prompts

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 11/12/97

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Ben Britton wrote:

> Has anyone ever toyed with the idea of a prompt that is fixed to the
> bottom of the screen that details everything? or a top tactical that
> allows you to see who is in the room.  I believe that you would need a
> VT102 interface with alot of extra coding and I was wondering if anyone
> has toyed with this idea?

SillyMUD has it. I also coded something based on the vt102 command
refernce in the C_ECHO snippets (which you should have if you are
programming in C, http://www.snippets.org).

I've written a letter about this to merc-l a long while ago, and it's
avialble from my letters page at http://pip.dknet.dk/~erwin/letters/.

I don't think anyone on my MUD uses it :) Ther performance of this over a
modem line is poor; if a packet with the redrawing code is split it will
look bad (and I do make sure I don't redraw everything each time the
prompt is sent, but just things that changed).