Re: [HELP] [ODDITY] A strange pid running along with circle & autorun..

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 11/11/97

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Will Andrews wrote:

> My MUD's group has found that an additional
> couple of processes run along with circle
> and autorun... it's called "sleep 60".. and
> one time, there were like 1,500 of these
> running, and they took up 85M of memory
> (reportedly, this is a quote from the sysadmin,
> who restarted the machine to get rid of them).
> The OS is FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE, and we are
> running Circle 3.0bpl11+OasisOLC 1.5

Well... First off you need to know what the sleep command does. I'd
suggest typing 'man sleep' at your unix prompt to find that out.

You are probably getting TONS of those running because you are running
the autorun script over and over and over.

To reboot your MUD, you need to login as an immort and type 'shutdown'.
There are some options to shutting down, so type 'help shutdown' in the
MUD to find out about those.

If you cannot login to the MUD and you want to shutdown the MUD
__completely__, then type 'touch .killscript' at your unix prompt in the
same directory as your autorun script. If you just want to reboot your
MUD, type 'touch .fastboot' at your unix prompt in the same directory as
your autorun script.

If you're not sure what touch does, then type 'man touch' at the unix prompt.

Sorry to be so horribly informative. I'm not trying to insult your or
anyone elses level knowledge, but I work as the only tech support guy for
an ISP here, and that means that I'm in the habit of including every
LITTLE detail on how to do simple things like double-clicking.
(BTW: Double-clicking in NOT hitting both mouse buttons at the same
time! *groan*)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.