Re: rules/spam/general etiquette

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 11/13/97

> I know we all don't like spam, so i have a question. since we all post
>questions here every now and again, and in most cases get a response, is it
>considered etiquette to post a reply to the M.L. saying thanks? or is this
>considered email spam and annoying? Do you feel offended if you post a
>reply to my question and don't get a 'thankyou'? or do you feel annoyed
>that i spammed the mailing list with a message simply saying 'thankyou'? is
>it ok not to say thanks because we all generally try to reply and therefore
>we all know the other person is thankful anyway?

I, for one, find messages posted to the list which just say
"Thanks" and nothing else to be rather annoying.  If you
really want to express appreciation, private email is more
appropriate.  I personally don't typically mind if I do not
get any 'thanks' for help, since often times there are a
lot of people "helping", and it isn't practical to reply to
every single one of them (plus, as you state, we all
need help at some time :)

On the other hand, if you do get help from a lot of people,
it is often not inappropriate to post the results of all
the help to the list, which is a great opportunity to throw
in a thanks on top of it, and nobody will mind :)