Re: Was: Introduction Code

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 11/14/97

On Friday, November 14, 1997 6:49 AM, Daniel Koepke
[SMTP:dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM] wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, j f chaos wrote:
>
> ->  How on earth did that extra /r get in there(not too familiar w/
> ->fread_string() )
>
> fread_string() reads "\n" and converts it to "\r\n".  The problem is
> that, then, when you write it out, you have to strip the "\r",
> otherwise it is saved as "\r\n" and next time you read it in,
> fread_string() again converts "\n" to "\r\n", giving you "\r\r\n".
> The more you save without stripping the "\r"s, the more "\r"s get
> added.
>
> Now, what I am not understanding is how George is going to side-step
> this?  You should write out the "\r\n" pair over telnet, but you
> should only write "\n" to files.  I fail to see how changing
> fread_string() will produce the desired results and meet the two above
> "requirements".

I can tell you how I solved it.

Convert each and every string that is written to disk to not have \r's in it.
Convert each and every string that is read from disk to have a \r\n pair
for each \n in the file. In addition, yank any \r's before the \n's are
processed.

Takes a bit more time, but it does make my life easier. It also works
across win/unix so I can untar my backup on my win95 pc and
fire up the test mud on it.

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks