Re: My gdb errors

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 11/16/97

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Chuck Reed wrote:

> After using my gdb i got these damn probelms:
>
>  0x4001f9e9 in __kill ()
> #1  0x4005b775 in gsignal ()
> #2  0xbffff6a8 in ?? ()
> #3  0x805c656 in do_advance (ch=0x82ac810, argument=0xbffff81b " buttman 15",
>     cmd=8, subcmd=0) at act.wizard.c:1243
> #4  0x806e33c in command_interpreter (ch=0x82ac810,
>     argument=0xbffff814 "advance buttman 15") at interpreter.c:639
> #5  0x8049f68 in game_loop (mother_desc=3) at comm.c:640
> #6  0x80495ed in init_game (port=6001) at comm.c:251
> #7  0x8049578 in main (argc=3, argv=0xbffffd8c) at comm.c:221
> #8  0x80492bb in ___crt_dummy__ ()

gdb output doesn't do much good without seeing the code that is causing
problems. I can tell you that the problem is probably on line 1243 of
act.wizard.c, but I can't tell you what without seeing the function that
is giving you the crash.

Repeat info that I have said tons of times before:

If you want help solving a crash bug, tell us the following:
1) What you want your code to do.
2) What the code IS doing.   (NOTE: #1 and #2 are different!!!)
3) gdb output of a backtrace and printing of any important variables.
4) The code itself!!! (Damn hard to fix code without seeing the code!)
5) Things you have tried to do to fix the problem. (NOTE: If you have
        not tried to fix the problem yourself, then you probably
        shouldn't be posting the problem to the list just yet.)

Thank you for your time,

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.