Re: adding new levels

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 11/19/97

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Anthony J rye wrote:

> here is what i get now when i run make:
>
> class.c:803: unterminated string or character constant
> class.c:577: possible real start of unterminated constant

It's in plain English if you know the _basics_ of C.

strings or character contants are characters that are 'stuck together'.
Like: "bob was here" is a character constant. The first quote starts it
and the second quote terminates it.

Your error is about an unterminated character constant or string. This
means that you have something like: "bob was here

Note the missing quote.

The next line tells you where the start of that string is at. Or, at
least, it tries to. I've found that that "possible real start..." is only
accurate about half the time.

PLEASE get a book or two on C, and __study__ them! When you get compiler
errors and you don't know what they mean, turn to your C books. If, after
spending some time with the books, you still don't know what's up,
then send the list some email. You know... It's a simple IF statement:

if (studying_c_book != understanding_error)
  mail_circle_mailing_list(error);

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.