Re: adding new levels gone off topic, and onto flaming

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 11/21/97

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Whitey wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, John Evans wrote:
> [SNIP]
> >
> > Also in structs.h add lines like:
> > #define ITEM_MAT_UNDEFINED      -1
> > #define ITEM_MAT_LEATHER        0
> > #define ITEM_MAT_SILVER         1
> > #define ITEM_MAT_IRON           2
> > #define  etc.....
>
> You may want to define these as bitvectors, so a certain object can have
> several material types.  Such as a steel axe with a wooden handle, or a
> studded leather jacket.  Just a thought.

Nah, because then you could reason that if the axe with wooden handle
were hit by a flamestrike, you'd have nothing but the head of the axe
left, and I don't want to add code that ads in "if item X is damaged by
spell Y then extract it and load obj Z in its place."

That's going just a bit too far into realism. It is possible and I could
probably do it, but there are other, better things to code in the vast
amount of time that that would take. Not to mention that all my creators
would have to create alternate items (that may well never be used) for
every item that they create.

It's a neat idea, and I think a MUD with that would probably be excellent
(because if they did that, think of the other things they would do), but
it's just not for me. :)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.