Re: Off-topic flamewar! :)

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 11/22/97

[ I'll throw an ObCircle at the bottom. ]

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Anthony J rye wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:
>
>> Oh, shut-up.  I mean really, we all feel sorry for any unenviable
>i am not asking for people to feel sorry for me. All i am saying is every
>one once was a newbie coder at one time or another, no i really didnt know

Yeah, I was not that long ago.  I never posted questions until I had played
with it for over a half hour (more like a few hours for some problems) and
if by then, none of the people around me knew either.

>whole lot about coding ,but i was starting to kinda get the hang of it and
>understand it. I would explain more, but i am sure no one wants to here
>about it. The point is dan i am trying to learn and no matter if its you
>or the President of the U.S trying to stop me (by flame i mean) I will
>Learn the C coding.

We're not trying to stop you from learning C.  What we're trying to stop is
the questions that relate to C coding and not CircleMUD.  It's fine if you
post a new command you wrote and ask why isn't this working but not for
random C questions.  Which, Chuck has been doing that too but he seems to
learn from that so it's not irritating. You launched into this big 'Help!
Help! I'm being repressed!' tirade.  It's not the corruption inherent in
the system.

> Ya i admit i would like some help, but i dont want people telling me how
>to do it! i am sure when everyone started out they wanted help as well.

There are many ways to go about coding things.

>There is nothing wrong with that (wanting Help to try to understand C).

FAQ:
          Stick to CircleMUD topics. Discussing non-CircleMUD topics such
          as how to flood a machine with 'ping' requests is off topic for
          the list. See Q2 for some related topics.

> I am not asking for pitty ,i am not asking for simpathy, i am asking not
>to down me becuase i am trying to understand.

Direct C questions to news:comp.lang.c and CircleMUD questions to here.

ObCircle:
Anyone with ideas on how to get rid of the 'close_me' hack, please send
ideas my way.  I'm currently trying to make a better way to do that in
addition to fixing the other lists where that happens.  Currently, do_purge
has the same problem do_dc has and killing the person/mob after you in the
character list will do it too. One (ugly) way to do it would be to keep the
next descriptor variable global and the next character variable in fight.c
also.  My current idea I have yet to try is make a CON_DISCONNECT state for
d->connected which would take the place of close_me more logically.

We're getting way off-topic. ;)