Re: Compiling CircleMUD 3.0 under win95

From: Baktor Silvanti (baktor@BEDFORD.NET)
Date: 11/22/97

Rich Chiavaroli wrote:

> As far as I've seen, no one has followed through on porting this to
> Borland C++. I could be wrong but I wouldn't expect to hear much from
> people.
>
> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Mathieu Nantel wrote:
>
> > Could someone send me out a Step-By-Step procedure of how to compile
> > Circle code
> > under win95 using Borland C++ Builder or Turbo C++ 4.5. I really need
> > help, cause
> > I don't understand how to do it. I am learning...

I won't say its immpossible as I've had it done once by my C prof.  The
problem is this, once its compiled and running, its FLAKEY.  Borland
does a few things different than the norm and apparently, circle uses
soemthing that its changed.  We had problems with the borland compiled
mud shutting sockets left and right and then locking up.  I'd strongly
suggest downloading cygnus CDK.zip or basically gnu's gcc compiler.
This you may notice, has been used by win95 people and it is much easier
to use.  If you can afford it, I'd look into MSVC 5.0 or some microcrap
compiler as they work nicely(this is what i got now).  I can't step you
through what my prof done to get it working, but it took the man a week
to do, and this from a guy who counts in hex/oct 3/4 of the time AND
knows assembler like the back of his hand.

Sorry,

Baktor