Immort program

From: Mark Dickey (mark@BESTWEB.NET)
Date: 11/23/97

Ok, I have been doing a lot of Pwhipes, and I will be doing a lot more in
teh time to come, so I have decided to make a program for the immortals to
use that will automatically update them.

What I have been thinking of is a program called "Upme" which, when the
players use it, it asks for a password.  Next it will call a function
which opens an immort file which has in it the name, password, level, and
zone for the player in it.

There will be one line for each set of fields, and every immortal except
the IMPL will be in it.  The routine opens the file, takes the information
line by line, puts each field into the respective variable, and checks it.
If the name and password match, it will update the player, otherwise it
goes to te next line.

I havn't had any trouble with making the do_upme or the routine to search
in the variables, but I'm having trouble getting the program to take the
variables line by line.

What I have tried doing is a while statement like ((var =
getc(immort_file)) && var != " " && var != "\n")

I just not sure what way to go about this. If you people want, I can post
what I currently have, but it is really messed up and isn't anywhere near
working.

Now, I doubt if there is any reason that I am putting this, but:

I have 3 C books.
I have studied all of teh file I/O in them.
I have tried to copy some stuff from the char_file stuff.
I have asked a bunch of other people.
Etc..Etc..Etc..

Next, I have:

FreeBSD, gcc, and bpl12.

Now, I would love any help that people would be willing to give me.  Also,
if anyone wants the finished stuff, I can easily either make a patch or
just copy the code.

Now, if anyone has comments, or suggestions:  YAY!!!  If you are going to
flame, please just delete the message or send it personally.

Thanks all.

Mark Dickey
Cyon the Immortal