Re: Muds Compute bound or IO bound...

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 11/25/97

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, RICARDO C LAGOS wrote:

>Has anyone thought about to what extent muds (such as circles) .. are
>compute bound and IO bound? .. (i'd think they are far more IO bound that
>computer bound... due to net lag etc..) ..

MUD's typically take 0.1% processor time.

>.. I ask this because of another question .. has anyone ever thought of
>making circle (or their own driver) multithreaded? .. to what extent do
>you think the mud would benefit.. (specially on a MP box..  with a MP
>operating system..

It's something planned.  Making multiple players run at the same time would
be rough.  I would rather start off with one thread doing the socket i/o
and the other thread reading the in-q, doing the player stuff which fills
the out-q for the other thread to write.  Then you could detect infinite
loops much easier and restart also.

It won't happen until CircleMUD uses a better buffering system though.
Maybe not something as sophisticated as mine although I will be trying to
make a stock CircleMUD multithreaded as soon as I feel the need to upgrade
to glibc.  (When/if they release a 2.0.6 or I get tired of waiting.)