Re: question about obuild v.6?

From: Rasdan (rasdan@PEAK.ORG)
Date: 11/27/97

>   Okay I got this obuild.  I think its version .6.  I'm currently
> rewriting the code and ran across a limitation in the code.  It
> only allowed a maximum of 326 zones.  Is this a real limitation
> of circle or just the olc itself?  From what I could see zone numbers
> were short integers, so I didn't understand the limit!

Well, it is actually a built in CircleMUD limit. The way the code is
currently set up, room numbers are short integers, and therefore can only
accomdate up to room # 32768 (Due to the fact that it is signed).
Since each zone is set up to have minimum 100 rooms, then the end of zone
326 would be room number 32699. As you can see, there is no real place
for a room.

Now, you could give yourself up to 65536 rooms by making room numbers
unsigned. When you do this, Room 0 should no longer be the void. Use it
for all invalid room numbers.

Either that or convert all room, obj, mob, and zone numbers to integers.
This will give you up to 2,147,483,648 rooms, or 21,474,835 zones. All of
these numbers assume you are using a 32-bit OS, with an integer being
defined as 32-bit, short integer being defined as 16-bit.

Rasdan

                                  /   \
        _                 )      ((   ))     (
       (@)               /|\      ))_((     /|\                 _
       |-|`\            / | \    (/\|/\)   / | \               (@)
       | | ------------/--|-voV---\`|'/--Vov-|--\--------------|-|
       | |  James C. Thomas Jr.   `\Y/'  Founder of Finality   |-|
       |-|                 rasdan@finality.com                 | |
       | |                  finality.com 4000                  |-|
                 l /   V           \ \       V   \ l           (@)
                                   `\ /'
                                     `