Re: [Bug Report]

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 12/03/97

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Ryan Gasper or Steven Arnold wrote:

->        I have not looked at the code, but I constantly have the same
->problem. People wearing platemail, and trying to read mail, or identifying
->an object. It checks the EQ being worn first,  then the inventory.

This isn't exactly on the same topic, but remember the old 'it' idea?
You store a pointer (struct obj_data *it;) on the player and update it
(heh) to point to the most recently accessed object.  For instance, if
you received your mail, then 'it' would be set to the most recent
piece of mail you got.  Then, typing, 'read it,' would be the same as
reading the last piece of mail you got.  You might even make (struct
char_data *her, *him, *it;).  Anyway, just an old idea brought back to
life as a hack around for this problem.

But, really, you should check most recently obtained/accessed objects
before others.  It's rare, IMHO, that someone wearing platemail for
the last 15 minutes, is suddenly going to want to 'look mail'; so
check for more recently accessed objects (e.g., the mail they got at
the post office).

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com