Re: polling of disconected sockets

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 12/03/97

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Steve Thompson wrote:

->I have not had much chance to look dig into the socket code of late, but
->here is my situation.  If someone loses link for whatever reason and does
->not reconnect right away, the load on my system goes to 1.0 average.  This
->is not a process load, in fact top leads me to belive that the system is
->95+% idle, which is certainly not the case.  Now, I *think* this has to do
->with circle's method of polling cons for "new data", the kernel then polls
->and polls and polls, driving up the load.

Uhm, pardon?  If I understand what you're saying, then you're wrong.
If someone loses link, they don't have a descriptor to poll for new
data.  There are other reasons, too.  As to why exactly these symptoms
are occurring, I'm uncertain.  I've never experienced the problem
before, but it's possible it's just related to the players that are
still connected doing intesive things (combat).

Off-topic:
An interesting lesson in Anti-Speak from the Golden State Warriors'
press conference today concerning Spreewell.  The guy says, "We have a
mode of thinking that isn't really set yet."  The one thing he did say
was the Spree's contract was being terminated, though that doesn't
mean anything.  He also said, "Spree will never play in a Warrior's
uniform again."  As if that meant anything in the first place, he also
followed that up with a less-than-conspicuous left-eyed wink to the
camera.  I've never seen someone use so many words to say absolutely
NOTHING.

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com