Re: polling of disconected sockets from Daniel Koepke on Wed, Dec 03, 1997 at 10:20:40PM -0800

From: Steve Thompson (stevet@VT.EDU)
Date: 12/04/97

On Wed, Dec 03, 1997 at 10:20:40PM -0800, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> Uhm, pardon?  If I understand what you're saying, then you're wrong.
> If someone loses link, they don't have a descriptor to poll for new
> data.  There are other reasons, too.  As to why exactly these symptoms
> are occurring, I'm uncertain.  I've never experienced the problem
> before, but it's possible it's just related to the players that are
> still connected doing intesive things (combat).

OK, so if it is not polling why does it only happen when a disconnect
occures?  Does anyone have any ideas?  Just for testing sake, i just took a
mortal and disconnected him and watched my load soar up, I am going to wait
for him to idle out and see if the load returns to normal.

Note:  this has nothing to do with combat lag or transmition of data, the
character in question just is "cut off" and no one else is even logged into
the mud.  it may *result* in lag though, and some of my players have bitched
about that.

This one boggles me, heck maybe it is a FreeBSD bug, but I like to hope not
:-)

-Steve

--
   Stephen C. Thompson