Re: Win95 && Gnu32 "StormeRider" at Dec 5, 97 07:38:17 am

From: Andrew Helm (ashe@IGLOU.COM)
Date: 12/05/97

[snip]
> 1.) Where is the best place to d/l the Gnu32 system and what exactly do I
> need?

ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/

What you need: a lot of hard drive space. :)

> 2.) Does the Gnu32 basically allow for compiling and running circle as if I
> were running say, Linux/Solaris?

Yep.

> 3.) Any exceptional items to note when doing this, like certain things I
> will have to modify to make it run, or things like the Gnu32 patch doesnt
> work as well as another utility out there?

Yes: make sure you mount all your drives as binary not text.
Also, if your text editors support the option then edit files
as unix files. If your text editors don't support that option
try getting one that does. (Programmer's File Editor is rather
nifty, and it's free). Gnu-win32 will work with your drives
mounted as text, but you'll run into small compatability
problems here and there. It's better to mount them as binary
first and avoid converting all your text files later on.
The gnu-win32 mailing list archives are at:

http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/

There you can find all the latest bug reports and work arounds.
After you've used bash you'll never ever want to go back to DOS. :)