Re: [AD]

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 12/08/97

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Pat O'Laughlin wrote:

->I have a MUDlist in the making.
->"http://members.tripod.com/~polaughlin/mudlist/"
->Please go there.  You can submit a MUD and I will put in on the list
->also.

Why bother?  There are already a dozen MUD lists out there, and I
hardly see the advantage of having a different MUD list.  It just
makes MUDs harder to find (they're listing on ListA at an old address,
on ListB they're not even listed, ListC has the right address, etc.)
and confusing.  I would think, anyway, that the MudConnector was more
than sufficient for searching for muds (http://wwww.mudconnect.com/)
unless you're going to offer a new angle on the topic, and provide
some content we can't get by just looking at one of the more popular
lists.

Besides which, the only MUD list that has any mild amount of use to it
is the MudConnector, which is essentially a list of MUD
advertisements, and I don't find it particularly useful, either.  I
can think of only two reasons for why it might be useful:

  * If you lose the address to a MUD and you want to look it up.
  * If you are looking for a new MUD to play at

and the first one is hardly legitimate.  First, I alias the MUDs I
play most often ("alias mudx='telnet mudx.address.com 4000'"), so that
all I have to do is type "mudx" to login to 'mudx'.  In Win95, I would
probably create short-cuts to my 'telnet' program that passes the
address and port on the command line (assuming my 'telnet' program
accepts command line arguments: if not, it's time to get a new
program).  Anyway, even without aliases/short-cuts, if you are
consistently forgetting MUD addresses then you either have bad
short-term memory loss (as if there's "good" short term memory loss),
or a taboo against writing things down.

As for the second reason, I think the chances fairly low that you'll
find your ideal MUD on a MUD list, including the MudConnector.  You're
more likely to hear about the "coolest" new MUD from your friend.

In my experience, the same is consistently true with most facets of
the Internet.  Especially the WWW, where I have spent hours in a
search engine, finding dead ends or unhelpful pages.  The majority of
good pages I have found have been through finding a page I like, that
had links to another page; or from my friends telling me where to
look.  Both can be considered congruent to hearing about a MUD from a
friend.

Perhaps I'm alone in thinking that 2 MUD lists is 1.5 too many...But I
doubt it...

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com