Re: Oasis patches, and patches in general

From: Ryan Gasper or Steven Arnold (dalamar@CYBERCOM.NET)
Date: 12/09/97

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Rasmus Ronlev wrote:

> The recent question from George wether or not to include various OLC
> interfaces for this and that (social and help editors for one) as well as
> more miscelenious stuff like the 'percentage' load chance thingie, into
> the existing OasisOLC package should be a definite NO!
>
> The beauty of all this is, that it's mostly scattered in SMALL files, so
> you can go select exactly those different parts of the available
> (re)sources, that you want to add to your mud. This is one thing I love.
> Especially since I like to read through the entire snippets/patches to see
> if it's something I'd like, if it's something I don't need after all, or
> something I could do better myself, and just use for the sake of a base
> idea or frame to build what I need on.

        George has said that it will be easy to use or not use the added
editors. If you do not wish to use it, you are not forced to. But its
there for those who do.

> I feel that putting all the existing online editors into the OasisOLC
> package is bad because it fundamentally does the opposite, to what I like
> :) It does make BIG chunks of stuff, where it becomes a big task to pick
> those small pieces you need from this BIG (re)source.

        See above.

> I also feel it makes it a little too easy for those, who ought to get a
> hard time *snicker* This has ofcourse been discussed a million times
> before, but there's no doubt in my mind, that the more (re)sources that is
> made available to the newboe John Doe, the bigger problems they'll get in
> the end, and the more spam for help, we'll get on this list, on subjects,
> that I do not wish to help anyone on.

        This should have absolutely NO bearing on whether to release it or
not.

> I feel, that it should be a core competence of the people that ask coding
> questions on this list, that they do know ore are trying VERY hard to get
> to know how to code C, and how to code stuff on a mud. Recent questions on
> this list have proven (as usual :), that it isn't everyone who does this.

        I agree, however, people still reply to peoples questions when its
obvious that they have no clue about C. Until that stops, we will continue
to get these questions. Answering them only makes it worse.

         /|"You will never see me cause    \/------------------\/|\
          | I'm always alone" -Ministry      dalamar@cybercom.net|
          |"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to   |
        _\|_time_with_the_blood_of_patriots_and_tyrants"_-ThomasJ|/_