Re: ASCII data files

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 12/11/97

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Chris Jacobson wrote:

> On 12/10/97 11:27 PM, Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET) stated:
> >Ascii pfiles gave me a 40% savings on the large mud I coded it for (approx
> >1800 players in the file when converted).  The ascii object files saved
> >more like 60%.
>
> If only you had released that to the public :-)  hehe
> Oh well I'll be coding my own soon, hopefully.  Got the time now

I think it can be done much better than the way I did it.  I overengineer
everything and it ended up being a lot more complicated than necessary for
reasons I don't even remember.

The best way to save a lot of space in ascii object files is to save only
the info for an individual object that differs from stock.  In most cases,
all you need to save is the vnum.

Maybe someday I'll have the time and motivation to convert what I did to
stock.

Sam