[Code] Gnu Win32

From: Aaron Miller (archmage@CRYOGEN.COM)
Date: 12/11/97

[somewhat long, apologies to all]

Greetings, everyone.

One note before I begin my tyrate, this is stock Circle 3.0, Patch Level 11,
with the exception of changes I make note of in this lengthy post.

I have bothered you all with this numerous times, but I figured I would try once more as, because of circumstances out of my control, I will not have linux available to continue coding Circle, so I am stuck with '95. I installed Cygnus's Gnu Win 32, and it appears to be working with no problems. So I then went about the task of getting Circle (3.0, bpl11) to compile with it. First, I played with conf.h until I was satisfied and it appeared to be working, and it is now like this:

#define CIRCLE_WINBLOWS
#define RETSIGTYPE int
#define STDC_HEADERS 1
#define TIME_WITH_SYS_TIME 1
#define HAVE_CRYPT 1
#define HAVE_ARPA_TELNET_H 1
#define HAVE_ASSERT_H 1
#define HAVE_ERRNO_H 1
#define HAVE_FCNTL_H 1
#define HAVE_LIMITS_H 1
#define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
#define HAVE_STRING_H 1
#define HAVE_SYS_FCNTL_H 1
#define HAVE_SYS_TIME_H 1
#define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
#define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1

You will notice CIRCLE_WINDOWS is not defined. This did not seem to work. And to keep my code as compatible as possible, i used #ifdef and #ifndef with CIRCLE_WINBLOWS to mark code changes. I then proceeded to compile. It got errors on signal_setup and other signal related functions, and such. I do not know off hand exactly what signals are, but I believe they are used in *nix operating systems, so I defined them out. It then compiled without incident, which was amazing.

Alas, it was not enough. Although it will boot normally, logging in is another issue. Due to my lack of a pfile, I am unable to test a normal login, only a new character. I will enter a name, it will confirm a new character, then request a password. When I respond, it will dump me. I checked the window Circle was running in, and it was full of errors similar to this:

 (c:\mud\circle30bpl11\bin\circle.exe 1000) frame 15: sp = 0x815673fc, pc = 0x4

Interesting, my MUD was on port 6000. Then, after about 15 of those, one last error:

 (c:\mud\circle30bpl11\bin\circle.exe 1000) End of stack trace (more stack frames may be present)

I am stumped :( This is bad.. syslog has nothing. syslog.CRASH has nothing.

This is very frustrating, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.