Re: [NEWBIE] tar.gz

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 12/12/97

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Dominance Circle Beta Site wrote:

->        Clearly this flame requires a flame.  Ryan, are you stupid?  Do
->you think that throwing out flames helps the situation?  Do you think I
->have even the slightest bit of interest in what you think of simple newbie
->questions?

Now hold on here.  You're sending this flame to the list in response
to a flame because you think your flame will help the situation?  Is
it just me, or did you just classify yourself as "stupid" as per your
own criteria?

Now, this isn't necessarily a flame, it's just an attempt to make a
point.  In reality, people are really quick to classify anything
negative as a flame, and thus having no redeeming qualities.  But,
hey, even some of the worst people to ever live had some aspect to
them that can be, at the very least, perceived as being "good".  Of
course, not every psycho has good points, nor every flame.  And I'm
not trying to say that.  But dismissing them all is a good way to keep
yourself in the dark.  And for all of those that simply delete the
flames or ignore the newbie questions: it doesn't work.  Closing your
eyes doesn't make the room empty.

Whether or not flames deserve public response is a matter of opinion.
Personally, I feel a message that makes a good point and perhaps
serves the purpose of detering further undesirable messages (e.g.,
basic C questions) is border-line acceptable.  On the other hand, I
would say, that if all you're doing is calling the other person a
hypocrite and a "fucknut boi" (<cough>), you might as well just douse
yourself with gasoline and light yourself a match...

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com