Re: [OFF-TOPIC] question about switch, return, break

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 12/19/97

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Sean butler wrote:

->        Notice there is no mention of break here.  If you would like I could show
->        you how Ritchie defines a "statement."  I think however that any good C
->        programmer owns this book and will know how he defines a "statement."
->        I assure you that it is not mandatory for it to contain a break.

In light of such, pardon the mistake.  But, what I said was not
"simply wrong", just not correct as per official defintion.
Portability dictates the use of "break" (even if most/all compilers
will not require it), though you appear to be correct in your
statement that it is not required by the ANSI C standard.

->Sure there is.  You are "simply wrong" when you make a simple or obvious
->mistake.

I would argue whether or not there is truly such a thing as a simple
mistake.  My mistake was based on knowledge derived from rather
unreliable sources (i.e., myself, and compiler warnings from older
versions of gcc), and in making such a blanket statement as I did
(actually, it can be traced back to a fair amount of self-confidence
in results obtained a long while ago, and a failure to retest these
results).

So, yet again, I have proven just how little know.  No matter, it's
been a strange month.  I'll be happy for the new year.

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com