Re: [CODE] rentfile limit based items

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 12/19/97

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Chuck Reed wrote:

> I have been to a MUD where the item limits in the game actually took into
> account items in the rent files.  IE, If you enter that 4 sword's of
> icecream could be in the game and four people had gotten them and rented, no
> more would load until they lost it, junked it, etc.  I have no clue as to
> how they did this and was wondering if anyone here had done something
> similar or had an idea of how it could be done?

Check the FTP and/or snippets site. I know that it's available for use
'cause I looked at it to get ideas on how to go about coding it.

Basically... upon game boot you read through the rentfiles and count the
objs that are in the file as if they were in the game. Works quite well,
but it will delay the game boot when you get several hundred or thousand
characters. I feel that the few extra minutes in the booting of the MUD
is worth the balance in objs that it provides.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>
http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

Santa is so jolly cause he has a list of where all the naughty girls live.