Re: guns patch

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 12/21/97

> On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, dmitri wrote:
>
> does anyone happen to have a patch for fire weapons that works with
> circlemud level 11? i have tried the ranged.patch that was in the
> circlemud
> archive, and a few others, but none seem to work.... any suggestions?

I posted one a couple years ago on the snippet site. Come to think of
it, it might be a good idea to junk that snippet. It was one of my first
circle related patches and it's quality isn't up to my new? standards :-)
(Mostly because it is extremely simple.)

Seriously though, guns have quite a few affects on your mud. Might not
be a bad idea to plan and code them yourself, so you'll be ahead of the
game later.

Case in point: My current guns system allows for terrain (modifiers like
glass doors, walls, etc), cover (hiding behind a rock) and affects
(shrapnel damage, etc). It also allows you to aim for a few seconds to
increase your chance of hitting and decrease your ability to dodge out
of the way of an incoming attack.

Not to toot my own horn, but more to show that everyone does things
differently.

One piece of advice. If you want a slugthrower with an attached grenade
launcher or the like, design it early. It's a major PITA to add that detail
after you've installed the system.

One last comment: Setup more than one skill to handle shooting.
Probably a good idea to create sub-specialties for each gun type so as
to limit the master-of-all-things-gun problem. Also an advantage/disadvantage
pair could be combat reflexes/flinches while firing.

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks