Re: [DUMMY QUESTION] Argument

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 12/23/97

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:43:25 +0000
Demond LaZaro <demond@TOLKIEN.REALMS.ORG> wrote:

> Ok I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I need to know how to write
> arguments more than say 7 characters long??

if (!*argument) {
   /* complain about being fed nothing for dinner */
}  else if (is_abbrev(argument, "cyborg") {
  /* do cyborg init */
}  else if (is_abbrev(argument, "robot") {
  /* do robot stuff */
} else {
    /* what the heck do they want for christmas? */
}

No flame from me. Others would surely point out that a book
would handle this question. Some others would point out
that grep could have helped. In fact, you'll find that most of
the stuff you want to do is already done in the code somewhere
it's just a matter of cutting out a chunk, pasting it somewhere
else and massaging it until it conforms to what you want. Then
making sure you thought through all the code paths so some
newbie won't stumble upon a problem and decide your mud
sucks before he's even made it in the game and had a chance
to cause real chaos. -:)

--Mallory