Re: map, the lesser.

From: Blue Lang (blue@CALICO.GATOR.NET)
Date: 12/26/97

> >you don't REALLY want to make a billion four exit rooms, do you? shouldn't
> >parts of the wilderness not be accessable?
> >
> 80x80 rooms for the virtual map. Certain ones wont be accessible without
> certain skills/abilities (like water breathing etc.).

yes, but, what i'm saying is that that's the wrong way to do it.. that's a
lot of lookups for something as ubiquitous as movement.. and it's silly to
have rooms that you can't move in to.. (ie NW NE SW SE).

and, if you have the 4 exit method, you can't LOOK into a bunch of rooms
that you can SEE. silly, silly, silly!

all of this actually brings up a question:

How many people on this list MUD with any regularity? I play part-time on
about 5 muds and look at at least 1 or 2 new muds every week.. I
sometimes get a feeling that a lot of people on the list have played one
or two muds and then jumped right in to trying to run one.. A good C
programmer does not always a good IMP make, IMHO. A poor programmer..
well.. We've all seen firsthand how THAT goes. :) Seriously, for both of
the people thinking of adding this feature, go find a mud that uses it,
look at it, see if YOU like it, and THEN inflict it on the morts. It'll
save you a lot of headache compared to writing it three times.

Speaking from experience,
--
Blue Lang, Head Technician, Gator.Net
blang@gator.net          352.378.9998