[OFF-TOPIC] MSP (was: Clarification)

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 12/30/97

>Put in MSP the other day. While it works ok, I found a few issues
>that aren't quite up to standards.
>
>1) Zmud specific (stereo ehancement) -- anyone gotten this to work?
>I don't think it's my system; sb32pnp/awe32/latest drivers/etc.
>(difficult to have footsteps approaching w/o stereo control. at least
>while keeping the number of files poor Joe User has to download
>to a minimum.)

Speaking of which, where are the specs on MSP available?  I am going to
be adding this in myself eventually, and also I am helping someone with
his creating a client (only writing the manual, but that's cool) and I
want to make sure he has all the new stuff.

>2) How do non-zmud clients handle msp? Are there any out there?
>Can you point me to one or a dozen so I can test them? Solaris,
>Linux (red hat) and FreeBSD are the unix os's I have access to.

As far as I know, no other client has it yet.  The above mentioned one
WILL have it eventually, but not now.  He's busy re-designing the
interface.  Anyways, you wouldn't be interested, not for one of those
OS's.

>3) Sound vs. Music. Zmud seems to make the distinction, but not
>completely. e.g. !!SOUND("mymidi.mid", ....) works just fine. Can't
>play midi and sound at the same time either. Though I can do it if
>I use MCI in a vb app or whatever. Is this an MSP issue or a zmud
>specific MCI implementation issue?

I would guess that's a problem with your computer.  As far as I know, the
specs for MSP (back in their early stages) stated that sounds and MIDI
could run together.