Re: command_info binary tree

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 01/05/98

On 1/5/98 6:42 PM, Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@pip.dknet.dk) stated:

>In this case, the hash function has a low range since partial matching
>must be done: if you only have to full names fully, you can achieve much
>better spread of the hash function, if you pick a hash function like
>perl's, and can typically increase peformance linearly by by increasing
>the size of the hash table.

The only problems with this is it requires knowledge of hash
tables/etc... thats the one thing I just can't pick up very well (even
reading through Budd's Classic Data Structures in C++ book, I can't pick
up on them very well)... I was looking for something that I could
probably do myself.  Semaphores, virtual functions, friend classes,
multiple inheritance I can handle... Hash tables still leave me boggled.

However, if anyone has hash table in use, and cares to share that segment
of their code, I would love to read over it (I learn better from code
than books ;-).  Doesn't matter what the code does, but the more related
it is to what Im working on, the better I can understand it (plus more
resources available to study it - i.e, the rest of Circle's source, and
something to compare against).

- Chris Jacobson