Re: SPCC & Guild of Implementors

From: Whitey (zacker@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: 01/18/98

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Fili wrote:

> I haven't heard much about this guild, so I'm guessing that the idea was
> scrapped. In that mindset, I am setting out to remake the idea, and fix
> some of the problems that were discussed on the list. Currently, the
> setup I'm thinking of is this (I am posting it to the list for
> discussion before I start it up)
>
> Name: SPCC (Society for the Protection against Cruelty to Circlemuds)

  Why not call it "The Society of Elitist Coders"?

> Purpose:
>
> To suggest CircleMUDs to players that value originality and to warn
> players against CircleMUDs that dont.

  That sounds like a pretty lame purpose.  Originality is very subjective.
And do you really think you are providing a valuable service by 'warning'
people about other MUDs?  I bet you won't be warning anyone about YOUR
mud.  I bet YOUR mud will be one of the top recommendations.

  Just let the players decide for themselves.  There's no need to put down
other MUDs.  How would you like it if I started a group to warn against
your mud because I thought it was unoriginal?

  It's your right to put whatever you want on your web page or wherever.
But I think it is not in the spirit in which CircleMUD was intended, and I
also think its a waste of time.

Whitey