Re: [kind of off-topic]

From: Nicholas S. Wourms (prospero@CAROL.NET)
Date: 01/19/98

>A server? For you, or for more people than you? If for you, windows will
work,
>but I would get NT rather than 95. If for multiple people..... again, get
>Linux (or NT if you must). If you havent heard of Jolt, Land, SSPING,
>OOB(nuke), and all the other ways of bringing down a WinServer (this includes
>the F0 bug) remember this: Redhat Linux has fewer bugs than BSD which has
>fewer bugs than Windows. Redhat 4.2 is easier to run a Circ on (no complaints
>for Redhat 4.2 so far!) than Redhat 5.0. Look at:
>ftp://www.cdrom.com/pub/linux/ for more information on downloading Redhat 4.2

I must disagree on this count, Linux and other *nix's have had their share
of bugs and security holes as well.  Don't believe me?  Check out the
number one place for attack programs http://www.rootshell.com/.  When I
want to find out about something that could harm my system I check there
for fixes as well.  Please don't start this elitist Linux crap.  I use both
NT and Linux, both of which have served me in good standing.  I'd recommend
linux simply because it is free whereas you have to buy nt and possible a
compiler.  Just make sure you know what you are talking about before you
start spouting off garbage, because two of the bugs you mentioned above I
know can take down a Linux box.

Nichols S. Wourms