Re: [THREADS] Pthreads?

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 01/19/98

At 08:37 AM 1/19/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I've been looking for these because I have heard that they are 'useful'.
>Could somebody give me the details on these?  (What exactly they are and
>where to get them)

Sunsite has them. They're, in simple terms, a method of spawning parallel
code without an explicit fork() call, and at an arbitrary point in your
program (at a subroutine).

I was thinking about using pthreads to do async hostname/ident lookups...
decided to go slowly... first thing i did was add the pthread library without
actually using it. Sounds innocuous, but after I did that, every connection
was dropped just after receiving the Password: prompt. (I'm pretty sure my
players would notice a thing like that.) I've no idea why this happened, and
while I don't feel pthreads could do something like that, removing the
-lpthread line from Makefile, deleting bin/circle, and making, fixed it.