Re: SPCC & Guild of Implementors

From: Whitey (zacker@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: 01/19/98

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Fili wrote:

> Whitey wrote:
> >   Why not call it "The Society of Elitist Coders"?
> >

> Doesnt sound witty and fun. Besides, It isnt elitist coders, it is
> people who dont like the fact that the circlemud name has been disgraced
> by the many muds that claim to be original and simply are stock areas
> and code.

 How does it disgrace CircleMUD to put a stock copy of CircleMUD on the
net?  I think stock Circle is pretty good.  Lots of areas, spells, skills,
mobprogs, it's all there.  Besdies, for some people, a simple mud works
better than a complicated one.  I think you are disgracing CircleMUD by
saying that it is not worth putting on the net.  Let the players decide
which muds to go to.

> > > Purpose:
> > >
> > > To suggest CircleMUDs to players that value originality and to warn
> > > players against CircleMUDs that dont.
> >
> >   That sounds like a pretty lame purpose.  Originality is very subjective.
> > And do you really think you are providing a valuable service by 'warning'
> > people about other MUDs?  I bet you won't be warning anyone about YOUR
> > mud.  I bet YOUR mud will be one of the top recommendations.
> >

> It would be a reccomended mud because it qualifies. Any mud that
> qualifies would be added to the list. Any mud that doesnt qualify is
> added to the list of bad ones.

 Ya, recommended based on your elitist qualifications.  You are
basically saying 'I decide who qualifies as original'.  Who put you in
charge?

> I would laugh and attempt to get the reasoning why you thought my mud
> was unoriginal.

 Well, I could randomly decide that any mud run by Fili is unoriginal.
Hey, if you don't meet my qualifications, you are on my 'bad ones' list.
Sounds pretty arbitrary, doesn't it?  Well, that's exactly what your
doing.  You are ranking a mud's originality based on your criteria.

Whitey