[circ] Universal object?

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 01/19/98

        All the toying around with the many sorted scripts and the like
brought me back to an old idea I had.  Someone had once asked for a
dancing sword - just a sword that fought by itself when commanded, and
acted like a normal sword elsewise.  So, the standard protocol would be to
load up a mob, remove the sword, and when the sword-mob was done it would
reload the sword obj, and life would continue.  This was not quite as easy
as you'd think.  I'm sure you could think of about 100 cases you'd have to
deal with, where spec_procs or scripts would fail/become troublesome.

        Anyway, I thought a great solution would be to place the three
main data groups (room_data, obj_data, char_data) into a single structure,
add a switch to choose which data type it actually is, and then using that
for special cases, treat everything bascially the same. So, you could
mount a flying carpet, or have a talking room,, or a fighting sword, or,
well, a slew of interesting things. Add it up with a script system that
is generic at user level, which differentiates between object types at the
level at which it becomes important, and you're all set for something
that's at least interesting...

                Any thoughts?

                                                PjD