Re: data structures

From: Whitey (zacker@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: 01/20/98

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Antioch wrote:

> Ok, so i've come across this thing that i can't identify in any of my C
> books and my head's starting to hurt from banging it on the wall:
>
> char **list_of_something;

This is a pointer to a pointer to a character.  An easier way to look at
it would be if we said somehting like this:

char some_char;
char *ptr_to_char;
char **ptr_to_ptr_to_char;

now if we said

some_character='A';

we could set pointer_to_character
pointing to some_character, then we could set ptr_to_ptr_to_character
pointing to pointer_to_character.  Schematically, it might look like this:

ptr_to_ptr_to_char      ptr_to_char     some_char

Whitey