Pfiles or something

From: Nicholas S. Wourms (prospero@CAROL.NET)
Date: 01/21/98

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question:
What do the following errors mean?

error opening output file: Too many open files
Program received signal SIGWINCH, Window size changed.
SYSERR: READING OBJECT FILE plrobjs/P-T/travis.objs (5): Too many open files
SYSERR: Couldn't open player file pfiles/v/vincent

I think it has something to do with fclose not closing a file, but I am not
sure.  This started happening shortly after I installed george's modified
pfile patch (against stock bpl11).  GDB is absolutely useless(at least
for what I know how to do in it), is there anything I can use to track
down what files aren't being closed.

It could be that the id's are somehow out of synch, so what was the final
fix on how to stop reusing player id's?

Thanks,
Nicholas