Dup Bug Revisited

From: Cris Jacobin (jacobin@BELLATLANTIC.NET)
Date: 01/22/98

        Still having problems with the DupBug fix.  It succeeds in blocking
the attack, but will crash randomly under RH 5.0.

        Dozens of new chars will be created without a hitch, but eventually
the application will abend with the following output from gcc.  Sometimes
after an hour, other times after a full day.  Not been able to reproduce
the problem.

-----
find_solib: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error

#0  0x8061fee in Valid_Name (newname=0xbffff618 "Jae") at ban.c:253
253         if (GET_NAME(dt->character) &&
!str_cmp(GET_NAME(dt->character),newname))
(gdb) print newname
$1 = 0xbffff618 "Jae"
(gdb) print dt->character->player.name
$2 = 0x5d30 <Address 0x5d30 out of bounds>
(gdb)
-----

        I've tore my hair out (And there's alot of it!) trying to find an
freed descriptor, etc in the program flow to no avail.  If anyone could
give me some ideas I'd appreciate it.

-jac