Re: [NEWBIE] 128 bitvectors

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 01/27/98

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Patrick Sullivan wrote:

>Being new to the circle mud code, and though I am sure this has been
>discussed many times on the list, could someone please explain to me the
>benefits of using the 128 bitvectors? i.e. why would I bother changing it?

Because the current setup is limited to 32 settings for PLR_, AFF_, and
MOB_ flags.  Also, in order to add more flags, you have to add another
integer to the code and make a declaration such as AFF2_FLAGGED() to use
it.  The only good news for the current setup is that if your compiler
(such as gcc) knows about 'long long', you can increase to (at least) 64
bits without much effort at all.

128 is just an arbitrary limit, you could have 1024 bitvector if you
wanted.  The current setup is very non-arbitrary.