Re: [ALERT!!!] Major back door in AScii PFiles!!!

From: StormeRider (silk@ICI.NET)
Date: 01/28/98

At 11:27 PM 1/27/98 -0000, you wrote:
>Attention ANYONE WHO USES ASCII PFILES!
>
>A major back door has just been found.  It was exploited on my MUD, I
>finally discovered how it was done.
>
>Using this bug a player can take control of the MUD totally, wipe the imm
>char and replace it with their own version.
>
>To reproduce:

<snip>

>My MUD was hacked several times like this until I was finally able to
>track it down.
>
>The "solution" to this is to parse descriptions to be written to the
>file, replacing "~" with a blank space.
>
>- Chris Jacobson

This kind of thing is why I'm really glad I'm on this list. *grins* *goes
to fix the bug on his system and then go hack the mud he plays on just to
see if it can be done and then tell the coders there about it...*

I would be interesting in the drink mixing, one of my immorts suggested it.
I'm going to make it so that it's only available inside of a bar...

StormeRider                  --- http://www.windsofstorm.net/wos/
silk@ici.net                 --- telnet://cmoo.com:4004