Re: A-Desc

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 01/29/98

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, John Evans wrote:

> The problem with the way it is now is that there is only one A-desc. From
> the way that I've been doing things you need three. One for TO_CHAR, one
> for TO_VICT and one for TO_NOTVICT. Of course, the TO_VICT would be
> skipped if ch == vict. That way you can have proper A-descs for wands,
> scrolls and other items that can be targeted on others.

This is somewhat related: look at
http://www.abandoned.org/drylock/letters/act.txt on how to use one act
string for both actor, victim and others - a system that makes things like
action descriptions (which for some reason were removed from MERC but I've
reimplemented them; they're neat) easier. E.g.:

$n drink$% from $p.

Would show

"You drink from object." to ch
"Drylock drinks from objet." to not-ch.

For wands, something like:

$n point$% $p at $N, causing $M to explode!

"You point a wand at Joe causing him to explode!" to ch
"Drylock points a wand at Joe, causing him to explode!" to not-vict
"Drylock pionts a wand at you, causing you to explode!" to vict