Very Large memory structures.

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 01/29/98

        I was toying around with a few different world mapping styles, and
settled one that was directed at a 3-d grid.  It doesn't really matter how
it works though, the important part was this:

        Since I was just playing, I chose a grossly huge map, all with
default values, and just had the whole thing pop into memory.  This method
worked fine for smaller maps, but when I got up around asorbing say, 20
megs for just the loading, I started to get malloc errors.

        Right, I know how malloc works - the errors come from not having
the memory around.  But - it is around. All I was running was the
mud-mock-up, on a machine with 96 mgs of ram and i think 80 meg swap file.

        It's my personal machine, and i'm pretty sure I didn't impose any
limits on myself - turned off my lshell just in case, but is there some
sort of default limit for a function/program?  the ulimit() call is
undocumented (the man pages has references to: obsolete(1) and
undocumented(1) or something of that nature).  Any ideas?

                                        PjD