Dam Messages and Spells

From: Wesley Fonvergne (tadrith@GATEKEEP.NET)
Date: 01/31/98

        I am trying to discover a way to put the amount of damage you take in the
damage message. I just don't understand how replace_string quite works, as
when I attempt to put it in, I get:

:argument makes pointer from integer without cast

I understand what this means, but I've never done casting before. :(
Also, has anyone implemented a spell system similar to dam_message? Like:

Your (spell name) hits (person) extremely hard!

Thanks,
   Tadrith