configure script question

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 02/04/98

This question is primarily directed to Jeremy, but anybody else who
can help out should feel free to chime in :)

I've got a patch (I'd like submit for integral inclusion in stock) for
running Circle with the GNU compiler from the Cygnus project for Win32.
It is all #ifdef stuff, so should suitable for inclusion as per the
PORTING doc :)

However, I'd like for the configure script to automatically detect for
the usage of cygwin and add a -DCYGWIN flag in Makefile.in, rather
than have the user add a flag to the Makefile by hand.
But, I have no experience with configure, and have no idea how to
go about this.

the -v flag of cygwin's gcc tells us we are using cygwin:
% gcc -v
Reading specs from
c:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\cygnus-2.7.2-9
70404\specs
gcc version cygnus-2.7.2-970404

And there is a libcygwin.a in the lib directory.

Can something be done with either of these, or is there some other
way that would be preferable to test for cygwin gcc?