Re: Time Flow

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 02/05/98

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Wesley Fonvergne wrote:

>         Has anyone given thought to making MUD time flow more naturally? The
> tick system works fine, but I think it would be really cool if time actually
> worked as in real life...one tick per second, perhaps? Obviously a whole
> bunch of timers, etc, would need changing, and I would also question as to
> how straining this would be on bandwidth and server resources, but it could
> be worth a try. Just wanted to know if anyone else had attempted this before
> I go try and make my MUD real time...

A "tick" is nothing more than a pulse that hits every 60 seconds. I've
seen muds that make regen REAL small, but a "tick" (aka point update)
hits every 10 - 15 seconds. It tends to make the game a bit more
realistic, and isn't any harder to code. It would just require some
thought to make sure that the game remains balanced.

As far as server load goes... It wouldn't be noticable at all. Mobs (in
stock) are checked every 10 seconds for their actions, and there are tons
more mobs in the game than there are players... at least.. I hope there are!

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

--Arthur C. Clarke